GREYSTONE MANSION WALKING TOUR
Of all the palatial homes in Beverly Hills, this is perhaps the most famous and certainly the one with the most storied past. The mansion in question? Greystone Manor. Built in the late twenties at the astronomical cost of nearly $3 million, the estate was constructed for Ned Doheny, the son of one of LA’s founding family’s Edward Doheny. Not only was the film, There Will Be Blood, starring Academy Award winner Daniel Day Lewis loosely based on the life of the elder Doheny, some key scenes from the film was actually shot on location at the estate.
Mystery and intrigue surround this particular properly. Soon after Ned, his wife and their children moved into the estate, Ned was shot in cold blood by his male secretary, Hugh Plunkett in a baffling murder/suicide. Although Ned only enjoyed the estate for a short time, his widow remarried and then lived at Greystone for a number of years until moving to a property adjacent to the manor, known as The Knoll (this property was recently sold for $41 million dollars and prior to being torn down was owned by such notable Angelenos as Kenny Rogers, the producer Dino Di Laurentis and the Davis family).
Throughout the years, Greystone has been owned by a variety of different individuals and organizations, most notably The American Film Institute which began a tradition of using the house as a filming location that continues to this day. In addition to There Will Be Blood, the home and its lush gardens and grounds have been featured in films and television shows like Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Muppets, The Witches of Eastwick, Entourage, Revenge, Castle, Batman, Spiderman, Charlie’s Angels Full Throttle, All of Me, General Hospital (the site of Luke and Laura’s Wedding).
Your guests will enjoy a truly intimate and interactive experience with the property. Our expert guides know the mansion inside and out and will be assisted by Greystone staff to showcase the home’s interior and expound on its unique history. You’ll see why this Beverly Hills Park is among the city’s most treasured.
- Length:2 hours
- Fitness Level:Easy—flat garden terraces/some steps to climb
- Tour Includes:• Expert CPR & First Aid Certified Tour Guide(s)
• Fun, Informative and Interactive video presentations on handheld tablets
• Water & Healthy Snacks
• Guide Gratuity
- What To Bring• Comfortable clothes and biking shorts for duration of tour
• Bike (road bike recommended)
• Jacket, windbreaker or sweatshirt
• Closed-toe shoes.
• Don’t forget your camera!
- Additional Services:• Tour led by Million Dollar Listing: L.A. Josh Flagg including: Room by room commentary, Discussion on Beverly Hills real estate, Group and individual photo opportunities
• Autographed book signing by Josh Flagg-Josh has written two books and would gladly provide copies and then autograph them for the group
- Event Planning Questionnaire:
- Debbie S.: Had a fantastic day. Our guide Stephen paced the walk to suit all in the tour party. Would recommend this walk to everyone...
- Corrina F.: I did my third tour with Bikes and Hikes LA earlier this month and enjoyed it as much as I did the first and second time...
- Ano N.: Easily the best thing we've done in LA...let alone any of our travels. Do yourself a favor and book this in when you're in LA